Once again it's Thanksgiving time, and once again we Lions find local families who are in need. Here shown below are members purchasing, assembling and delivering "turkey and all the trimmings" meals for approximately a dozen area families.
It is a way of life with Lions. Our members are dedicated to the ideal of service, be it community service or service to those in need – both domestically or internationally. Dubbed by Helen Keller as "Knights of the Blind" today's Lions are involved in service initiatives that reach far beyond advancing sight.
Highlights of Recent Service Projects
The Camden Lions Club serves Midcoast Maine through various service projects throughout the year – some ongoing weekly projects, some in celebration of national holidays, some related to seasonal events, some related to education, and others in service to the eye care and other health concerns of those in need.
Funding "How We Serve"
To help fund our service initiatives The Camden Lions Club conducts various community based fund raising activities anroughout the year including:
"We Serve" Health and Education
Proceeds from these activities fund local eye health and community service projects, and international eye health initiatives including: - Eye examinations and prescription eyeglasses purchases
- Donations to Maine Lions Sight & Hearing Association
- Donations to Lions Clubs International Foundation
- Donations to Maine Blind Bowlers Association
- Collection and recycling of used eyeglasses and hearing aids
- Little League team sponsorship
- Five Town Football league sponsorship
- Lions Clubs International Peace Poster competition sponsorship
- Camden Hills Regional High School college scholarships
- Donations of Thanksgiving and Christmas food baskets for area residents in need
- Donations to educational, elder care, rehabilitation, and social services organizations
"We Serve" Our Camden Community
The Camden Lions Club also provides a multitude of community service activities including:
- Placement of U.S. flags in Camden on all national holidays
- Installation and maintenance of the Christmas Star atop the Mt. Battie Tower
- Installation and maintenance of the Camden Village Green Christmas Trees
- Complimentary hot beverages and cookies served during the Christmas Tree lighting
- Transportation of elderly residents at Quarry Hills to planned outings
- Spearheaded construction of the Camden Veterans Memorial, Camden Village Square
- Ongoing maintenance of the Camden Veterans Memorial, Camden Village Square
- Spearheaded the reconstruction and preservation of the Mt. Battie Tower